The mission of Irish Lights is Safe Navigation at Sea. We are a maritime organisation delivering essential 24/7 safety and navigation services around the coast of Ireland, 365 days a year.
Our vision is to protect lives, property, trade and the environment by delivering next generation maritime services at the interface of navigation technology, engineering and data management.
Irish Lights is responsible for Maritime Aids to Navigation under the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Convention. This remit includes the provision and maintenance of over 330 general aids to navigation, the superintendence of approx. 3,300 local aids to navigation, and marking or removing dangerous wrecks outside harbour areas around Ireland.
Irish Lights also provides a range of navigation and contract commercial services including ship charter, buoy and maritime data. We provide value added services to support the development of the broader maritime economy including Met and Coastal Data Services. The Irish Lights tourism and heritage initiative, the ‘Great Lighthouses of Ireland' was developed in partnership with local communities and offers visitors from home and abroad the chance to visit or stay in a working lighthouse.
See our website www.irishlights.ie for further details.
Irish Lights is currently recruiting a Communications Manager who will lead the implementation and delivery of the Irish Lights Communications Strategy ensuring that the communications objectives of the organisation are achieved to the highest standard.
Irish Lights has a wide range of stakeholders, including users of its services (in the shipping, fishing and leisure sectors), commercial customers, coastal communities, government, partners in other agencies at national and international level and the general public. As a statutory body, it is essential that Irish Lights ensures that its stakeholders are well informed about our services and their impact and where appropriate are consulted on their requirements.
The Communications Manager will give close support to the Chief Executive, Directors and senior management team in the communications, PR and marketing areas with a focus on promoting the impact and benefit of the Irish Lights Strategy (Safe Seas-Connected Coasts) nationally and internationally. S/he will also work with colleagues across Irish Lights to ensure that accurate, timely and clear information is provided to stakeholders, that communications is coordinated effectively and efficiently and that the work of the organisation is promoted and understood.
S/he will also oversee stakeholder management and engagement, promoting positive awareness of Irish Lights services, management of communication platforms (web, social media and publications), media and public relations, event management, supporting the promotion and marketing of services, support for crisis management and internal communications.
While the Communications Manager will report directly to the Chief Executive, s/he will work closely with the Senior Management Team to directly support activities across the organisation.
Key Requirements, Qualifications, experience and required skills
A third level qualification in Communications, Public Relations, or a related discipline is required. This is a strategic role, which involves leading the communication of all Irish Lights activity to a wide range of stakeholders.
The following specific competencies and skills are deemed essential for the post:
- Experience in the development, management and delivery of ambitious PR and Communications Strategies.
- Ability to operate at a strategic and operational level and to develop and deliver sustainable communications plans annually, in a resource-constrained environment.
- Ability to handle sensitive information/issues with good judgment and explain the organisation’s position clearly when required.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining relationships with key members of the media.
- A good understanding of corporate brand management, marketing and promotion strategies.
- A track record of collaborative working, networking, and fast-moving project delivery.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to influence widely inside and outside the organisation.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write content for a range of media channels.
- Strong commitment to learning and continuous personal development.
- Strong attention to detail with a strong results focus.
- A flexible approach to work and working hours is needed for this role.
A minimum of 5 years’ experience in communications, PR or a related field is essential.
The following competencies are desirable but not essential for the post:
- Knowledge and awareness of social, political and economic issues that might impact on Irish Lights.
- Knowledge and awareness of the marine sector.
Salary: Competitive salary plus attractive benefits package.
A Candidate Briefing Pack will be sent shortly after receipt of an application. Closing date for applications is Friday April 20 2018.For more infomation please see the Irish Jobs post here.