The mission of Irish Lights is Safe Navigation at Sea. We are a maritime organisation delivering essential 24/7 safety and navigation services around the coast of Ireland, 365 days a year.
Our vision is to protect lives, property, trade and the environment by delivering next generation maritime services at the interface of navigation technology, engineering and data management.
Irish Lights is responsible for Maritime Aids to Navigation under the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Convention. This remit includes the provision and maintenance of over 330 general aids to navigation, the superintendence of approx. 3,300 local aids to navigation, and marking or removing dangerous wrecks outside harbour areas around Ireland.
Irish Lights also provides a range of navigation and contract commercial services including ship charter, buoy and maritime data. We provide value added services to support the development of the broader maritime economy including Met and Coastal Data Services. The Irish Lights tourism and heritage initiative, the ‘Great Lighthouses of Ireland' was developed in partnership with local communities and offers visitors from home and abroad the chance to visit or stay in a working lighthouse.
Irish Lights is currently recruiting an experienced Lighthouse Technician (LT) who will be responsible to the Lighthouse Team Lead for their role in the provision and maintenance of Irish Lights assets. The LT will operate as part of multidiscipline teams deployed as required on a coast wide basis, at Irish Lights Dun Laoghaire, or third party locations.
He/she will work within their training, skills and competencies to support system design work and to deliver required work packages in an efficient and effective manner. Work packages may involve activity for Irish Lights, other GLA or third party commercial work.
Salary: Starting salary €31,000 plus attractive benefits package
- Provide on-going maintenance of Irish Lights assets and equipment reliability through quality workmanship
- Accountable for reliable, on time and on budget completion of work packages
- Recording of work packages
- Maintenance of positive environmental standards and procedures
- A commitment to risk, safety and environmental management
- Delivery of objectives agreed in the Performance and Development System (PADS). These will include goals for personal and skills development.
- A commitment to the delivery of the Irish Lights Strategy 2018 - 2023: “Safe Seas - Connected Coasts”
Key Requirements, Qualifications, Experience and Required skills
- Experienced technician with a relevant qualification.
- Experience in diesel engine maintenance and overhaul.
- Excellent fault finding and diagnostics skills.
- High level of installation, testing and maintenance skills.
- Good planning and logistics skills.
- Full driving licence.
- Ability to self organise
- Stong team building skills, ability to motivate and work with other team members across Irish Lights
- A flexible approach to work and working hours
The following competencies are desirable but not essential for the post:
- AC/DC electrical experience to include generators.
- Experience of marine environment.
- TIG/MIG Welding experience.
- Good ICT skills.
A Candidate Briefing Pack will be sent shortly after receipt of an application. Closing date for applications is Friday April 20th 2018. For more infomation please see the Irish Jobs post here.