The mission of Irish Lights is Safe Navigation at Sea. We are a maritime organisation delivering essential 24/7 safety and navigation services around the coast of Ireland, 365 days a year.
Our vision is to protect lives, property, trade and the environment by delivering next generation maritime services at the interface of navigation technology, engineering and data management.
Irish Lights is responsible for Maritime Aids to Navigation under the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Convention. This remit includes the provision and maintenance of over 330 general aids to navigation, the superintendence of approx. 3,300 local aids to navigation, and marking or removing dangerous wrecks outside harbour areas around Ireland.
Irish Lights also provides a range of navigation and contract commercial services including ship charter, buoy and maritime data. We provide value added services to support the development of the broader maritime economy including Met and Coastal Data Services. The Irish Lights tourism and heritage initiative, the ‘Great Lighthouses of Ireland' was developed in partnership with local communities and offers visitors from home and abroad the chance to visit or stay in a working lighthouse.
Irish Lights is currently recruiting an experienced Support Operative to provide on-going maintenance of Irish Lights assets. The SO will operate as part of multidiscipline teams based at Irish Lights Dun Laoghaire and will on occasion, work on a coast wide basis or at third party locations.
The Support Operative will report to the Irish Lights Dun Laoghaire & Buoy Supervisor and will be based in our Dun Laoghaire Office. When part of a coastal team the SO will report to the relevant Lighthouse Team Lead.
Salary: Starting salary €25,000 plus attractive benefits package.
- Provide on-going maintenance of Irish Lights assets through quality workmanship
- Reliable, on time completion of work packages
- Maintenance of positive environmental standards and procedures
- Commitment to risk, safety and environmental management
- Cross departmental liaison and cooperation with an open and collaborative approach to all areas of Irish Lights.
- Delivery of objectives agreed in the Performance and Development System (PADS). These will include goals for personal and skills development.
- A commitment to the delivery of the Irish Lights Strategy 2018 - 2023: “Safe Seas - Connected Coasts”.
Key Requirements, Qualifications, Experience and Required skills
- Experienced general worker with broad skills and capabilities
- Good team working and communication skills
- Self-organising and reliable
- Commitment to personal up skilling and development
- Prepared to travel and work away from base when required
- Clean driving licence
- A flexible approach to work and working hours.
The following competencies are desirable but not essential for the post:
- Relevant qualification – holder of relevant CSCS cards
- Experience of mobile plant operation – forklift, pallet truck, teleporter, crane, slinging and lifting operations
- Experience of stores operations
- Experience of grit blasting, high pressure washing
- Basic welding
- Basic mechanical and electrical skills
- Reasonable ICT skills
A Candidate Briefing Pack will be sent shortly after receipt of an application. Closing date for applications is Friday April 20th 2018. For more infomation please see the Irish Jobs post here.