Two lights were established on 1st August 1837 which formed leading lights from Sligo Bay into the Channel to Sligo Port. When they ceased to give an accurate lead they were discontinued and replaced by a sectored temporary light on 15th February 1891. By February 1893 the two discontinued towers had been taken down and the north tower was being rebuilt towards the north west point of Oyster Island. It became a rear leading light with the Metal Man in 1932. In 1965 its character was changed to Occ W 5s along with the Metal Man (front leading light). The light was converted from acetylene to propane on the 9th October 1979 and its character was changed to Occ W 4s with a range of 10 nautical miles. On 13 March 2003 the gas powered light was changed to solar powered. The character was changed to Fl (3) W 6.1 seconds and synchronised with Metal Man.